Walking Due North

Having immensely been blessed with a fifteen-year tenure at Lazard Asset Management, time has finally come for me to “hang up my boots”. Today marks my last day of working with and for some incredible minds.   While I may be “retiring” from funds management per se, those of you who know me well will understand how I will remain actively and passionately involved within the broader financial services and retirement savings community. 

Following fifteen years of a challenging/demanding role, however, I now hope to “find my north” through a three month around the world sabbatical; starting by dancing the tango with my niece in Buenos Aires, hiking the Peruvian Andes with my sister, riding a Harley from Miami to Key West FL with my brother and cousins, walking solo the full 800 km of El Camino Frances to Santiago de Campostela and making new friends, walking the streets of Jerusalem and painting in Tzfad Israel, culminating in my volunteering at an elephant sanctuary in remote western Thailand. If you like, it’s my own version of "Hike, Pray, Shovel". 

I equally plan to re-start my earlier initiative with Suicide Awareness, or the group we called People Reaching Out to People (PROP, or www.prop.org.au ). Will direct my passion and energy to changing the outdated social stigma associated with mental health, let alone with helping others to address the needs of the broader suicide prevention community. My passion in overcoming large adversaries; like Don Quixote riding off on Rocinante. Wish me luck!

À bientôt!


Comments

  1. Hey Rob, may your journey bring you many profound experiences and much joy in re-connecting with loved ones. Come back to us safe and enlightened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, truly appreciated. See you in a few months.

      Delete
  2. Go Rob! I’m behind you every inch of the way. Looking forward to sharing your journey! Good luck and have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many blessings on your journey, Rob! May the Spirits be with you! Hail, Ancestors and Pacha Mama and Bear! Hail all beings, seen and unseen, who will guide and assist you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome, I am green with envy and will make sure to follow your adventures! , you have gift for 'being who you are' and for sharing stories so this I can see is going to be great, I personally think that is not about the destination but the journey so enjoy every mile of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A real adventure for an adventurous soul! Stay safe and looking forward to all you find on this soul searching journey. Namaste :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gaby. Sending you warm and best, as always.

      Delete
  6. Rob, you may be our baby brother, but have no doubt, all of your older siblings are in see of you. Of all your accomplishments, no doubt, this will surpass them all.
    Can't wait to see where you go and share the lessons you've learned along the way with all of us.
    I'm sure dad will guide you all the way and you'll have mom's blessing when you see her in a few days. We love you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much luck on your walkabout my dear brother.... ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. If anyone can make this grueling hike a fun time, it's you! Enjoy the journey, I will enjoy reading about it!!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you find plenty of time for "not doing" in amongst all that "doing" Rob. I'm guessing that finding true north will be a surprisingly wiggly path. Enjoy the relationdhips you make and rekindle on the journey. Michael 😀

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving - Lao Tzu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simply brilliant. Will definitely keep this one.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic! Enjoy your amazing adventure and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Safe travels Pruggedy! Looking forward to the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck! I look forward to reading your posts! Very inspiring!!! And thank you for opening up the discussion and awareness of the stigma of mental illness! It has effected my family in so many ways as has suicide attempts. We need more love, compassion, empathy, education and discussion for each other. Let’s shine a light on mental illness to help find ways to manage it and help one another. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rob.
    One day, I hope to follow in your footsteps.
    Tread carefully my friend - that way you can walk far and prosper!

    SAM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a fantastic trip Rob, the Truth must be out there somewhere! What brand of hiking boots are you relying on or are you a Barefoot ex Investor?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck in this new phase of your journey.
    Mazz (Jim Masseron)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Inspirational Rob ... enjoy your journey (I too am green with envy) and so sorry to hear of the losses in your family. Take care, chin up and always look to the vanishing point in the distance...
    Best wishes, Rob

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Renaissance Man Named Coco

“The songs we’ve danced, the places we’ve visited”