Look back, leap forward

It’s been said that to know where you’re headed, you first need to appreciate where you’ve been.  And while my past is sometimes a blur, this is a mantra I’d enthusiastically endorse.  Added how I’ve been blessed by an amazing and loving family, am starting my leap into self discovery by first dipping into my past: Santiago, Buenos Aires, Lima, and Miami.  Sadly, one place is missing, Washington DC, as am wanting to start El Camino early April.

Staring in Santiago was brief, but truly memorable.  Arrived, took an Uber into the city, and met up with a childhood friend, Consuelo Otero.  Although I haven’t seen her since 1977, truly was an amazing reconnection as we pretty much started where we left off.  So many years have passed, yet our connection was as innocent and enjoyable as when we were kids way back when.  And while our conversations were great, I was pleasantly relieved when she spoke of her memory of my troublesome youth not as a pain, but as a mischievous boy who cared for others.  Am sincere when I say relieved as my fear has always been in seeking attention, I often used up the patience from others.  Gracias Consuelo for your honesty and forthright words.

We later went to my cousin and his husbands very groovy restaurant in Santiago.  If you ever do go to Santiago, PLEASE go as am sure you’ll love the food, decor, and ambiance.  Sure, I’m biased, but read the reviews on Trip Advisor yourself to confirm.  Jose, my cousin is exactly as I remember him, caring as loving to all.  And his husband, Gino, is a great addition to my family.  Truly splendid people.

Flying into Buenos Aires was a major treat.  I went there to reunite with my niece Carolina and her wonderful husband and three kids; Mikela, Juan Carlos (AKA, “Chino”), and lovely Ella.  All three of my sister’s daughters, let alone all my nieces are great fun.  But both Carolina and her elder sister Fabiola have always had a special bond given I am only twelve+ years older than them.  And when I lived in Peru with my sister back in 1977, I was able to get very close to Fabiola and Carolina.  While am an obviously their uncle, our bond is often more fraternal.

Spending time with Carolina and her kids was magical, truly.  It reminded me of how wonderful it was to have a young family, where dinner time was full of conversations and laughter, where playing games always ends with laughter, and where family love brings you closer than a cyclist lycra.

Mikela is truly a given and caring soul, even at just fourteen years of age.  Her interaction with others is one which shows she not only cares, but engages.  A true empath despite her youth.  As for Chino, well he and I hit it off right away.  Like two kindred spirits.  Magic to my ears was when he mentioned how he signed up to play rugby at the local club and wanted to learn the game.  When I asked him what position he wanted to play, he said loose head prop.  I was in rugby heaven, all the more so when I saw him implement much of what we discuss at his first club match.  The day was topped off when my mate Hayden Rorke helped me get two tickets to see the NSW Waratahs (Sydney) play the Jaguares (Buenos Aires).  Talk about luck.

From there I flew to Lima, where I was able to reunite with my sister/husband, and the remaining daughters and their families, Fabiola and Camilla.  One of the highlights for me was spending a weekend at the beach, and playing Uno with Camila, her husband, and three daughters.  Am telling you, nothing brings a family closer than a competitive but funny game of Uno.  The memories of playing this with my own family when they were of same age brought back great memories.

But reuniting with my sister was sheer joy.  Have always held a very close bond to my sister Norah.  I remember at her wedding, when I was just 6 years of age, I cried and cried when she got married.  I angrily went to her husband Enrique and asked her why he was taking my sister away.  I was well accustomed to having her near by, albeit a little annoyed when she often grabbed my teddy bears to place on HER bed.  But other than that, she and I are quite close.  Almost like we can feel what the other is going to say.  So spending time with her and her family, sans Carolina (who of course is in Buenos Aires), has truly been heaven sent.  True food for one’s soul, connecting with ones past only today.

But my time with my mother, who at 92 years old has advanced dementia, has been more difficult than I could have anticipated.  Sadly, she no longer recognises me.  As her youngest of seven children, and as you can imagine, this stung.  But more on this later.  For now, I have to get back to my family.  Thank you for following along with me.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Due North

A Renaissance Man Named Coco

“The songs we’ve danced, the places we’ve visited”