“The songs we’ve danced, the places we’ve visited”



My father was known for many sayings, some I’ve forgotten, many I’ve remembered.  “All poodles are dogs, but not all dogs are poodles”, for when I would generalise.  But my favourite, one which I’ve loved and lived was, “The only thing we take to our graves are the songs we’ve danced and the places we’ve visited”.  Stated differently, memories are the only thing we take to our graves; so we might as well make them memorable as well as cherished.  

My father passed away last 12th April, at 94 years and months shy of his 70th wedding anniversary.   His love of laughter, jokes (however corny), music, and dance was legendary.   My father’s Joie de Vivre is something I often reflect on whenever I find myself needing encouragement or when/if I’m low.  And as his one year anniversary quickly approaches, however, I am equally saddened by his epic mantra.  

You see, my 92 yo mother has been living and fighting dementia for some time now. While diagnosed some years back, her memory loss was thankfully slow.  But today, however, her dementia has sadly advanced to the point that she no longer recognises me, many of my siblings, or even many of our children.   And while she does thankfully remember joys from her childhood, as a mother, grandmother, and great grandmother, many such family memories are today lost.  

Don’t get me wrong, there are fleeting moments when she does call my name, which clearly makes my heart jump with joy.  But equally, when she calls me Miguelito, a name which baffles my family as to who she is referring to, clearly my heart aches.  

Some of us baby boomers who have ageing parents know what I mean.  We also know that this condition may have stolen our parents memory, but the joy they get from presence lies outside a poets prose.  We sing songs, we show old family photos of them as children, we discuss stories they old us of their childhood when we ourselves were children.  It is in these fleeting moments where we spoon feed the joy from which my father spoke of.  

As any loving child, let alone as parent, clearly our giving joy to our loved ones brings ourselves some joy.  Rather than my mother staring out her window, we were able to briefly engage feeds our own needs for such joy.  No doubt, the same feeling they had when it was them who spoon fed us, when it was them who sang to us, when it was them who read us a book as we lay to sleep.  The circle of life.  

But before I give you the wrong impression, am impression of tender compassion and empathy, I should confess something. I am angry.  I am angry that time has taken away my opportunity to sit down with my mother and converse.  I am angry that I can’t tell her how her grandchildren have grown up to be two loving and family oriented young people.  I am angry that I can’t tell her about my past work, my travels, or my sabbatical.  I am angry that I can’t thank her for those moments when she made me feel as though I was her only child.  I am angry that while I hold her hand she asks me who I am.  

Yes, of course, she feels and appreciates my presence.  But sadly, and admittedly selfishly, I can’t get the satisfaction of seeing her response when I tell her things that would have brought her great joy.  And while I accept this anger is a selfish one, as physically she is present, my own anger stems from this void which her dementia has left me; her youngest child.  What joy I speak of is no longer one I can share with my own mother. Hence my anger, hence my feeling robbed of an opportunity.  

But alas, my tears can’t bring back this maternal connection I crave.  I will have to redirect this to my own siblings and family.  These memories I hold are mine, or as my mother has shown, mine while my own body and mind allow me to rejoice in them.  


So to my mother I leave her this heartfelt message: when I close my eyes, I see you.  When I open them, I cry.  





Comments

  1. I can only hope my children love me half as much as you do your mother. What a beautiful relationship you've had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear friend. And from what I see from afar, no doubt at all.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful memories that you will always cherish. A lesson for all of us - to make as many memories as we can with our families. Thanks for sharing Rob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. Thank you for your kind words buddy. Means a lot.

      Delete
  3. I'm extremely grateful, and very lucky, that my parents made it through their life with only a mild forgetting in their 90s.
    Beautiful writing Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to that deep feeling of loss. I remember how my life changed over night—after my mother had a stroke. Years stolen, memories yet to be made would never be realized. Hold on to those moments, no matter how small. Loved the video 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since my mom is 88, I understand some of your journey. I hope never to have to deal with dementia with my mom because it is so difficult. As I read your heartfelt thoughts and words, it make me say....why are you not a writer? You should think about a book...just saying....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Due North

A Renaissance Man Named Coco