Paths are made from walking

“Before a new chapter begins, the old has to be be finished.  Stop being who you were, and change into who you are”.  ~Paula Coehlo

Hard to believe that just four weeks ago my family Gerald and Eliane dropped me off at St Jean Pied de Port.  I was so excited by my expectations as to what I was about to start; El Camino.  My expectations, as per usual, were filled with romantic expectations of of self fulfilment and achievement.   Yet, after the Camino had worked out where my true path led, it steered me into a different direction; a better direction which one only appreciates after the fact.  

But for all this to make sense, however, perhaps I need to elaborate.  This fourth week on El Camino has been a moment of awakening.   You see, on the eve of my starting this pilgrimage, my sincere response as to why I’ve embarked on El Camino would’ve been founded on soul cleansing and soul seeking clarity.  Unlike vacations to resorts, no one puts their body through the Camino as a “bucket list” unless they seek a higher fulfilment.  The physical, later mental exhaustion, counterintuitively yields a level of mental clarity outside even your own expectations.  

I have an eclectic group of friends.  Many of whom will understand, while others of course may need some clarity.  It’s a brain hemisphere thing; a difference between the analytical left hemisphere vs the artistic right hemisphere.  For those with a bias towards the analytical left, suffice to say that the endorphins kicking in following five weeks of waking yields positive mental clarity.  For those with artistic right hemisphere, however, suffice to say that following one’s mental exhaustion, your mind opens itself up to a more spiritual awakening.  Either way, the consequences are enlightening. 

As for what lies ahead, tomorrow  (Monday 7th May) I will have less than 100 kilometres to finish my near 800 kilometre walk.  This final leg, as Gerald correctly pointed out, is one where you feet will feel as if they’re on wings. The sense of achievement overwhelms any soul searching pontification.  Each step forward from here brings you closer to a finish line few get to cross.  After this 11th May, I would have walked the equivalent of 25 marathons, across the Spanish peninsula.  


Attached herein is a video compilation of my pilgrimage this week.  As with previous ones, the song chose has specific meaning, which I hope you’ll agree with.  Thank you again for your continued encouragement.  

Comments

  1. Stunning! Stepping ever closer to Source. Soulful dog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,
    I am keeping up irregularly with your writings and have now found out of your loss, I am sorry. You made the right choice to keep going though, your mum wouldn't want anything else. Go hard on those last few days of El Camino mate. Jeremy Graham-Higgs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your feet soar my bro. Each step floats over your vision of your future paths. I am so proud of you. Wishing your finish line opens so many roads you have ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great read Rob and stunning video. Cheers Gareth B1

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a journey Rob! Your are so close yo finish line! I am certain that your experience in El Camino has enlighten your whole being, and will bring so much wisdom for the future. We are so greatful that you are sharin it with us. Hugs ๐Ÿค— ❤️๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a natural eternal beauty. As one of my very old friends once said, the most important soul defining things are there, people have to recognise the need to touch them. Rob, you certainly have. Enjoy your last 100 km!! TD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Due North

A Renaissance Man Named Coco

“The songs we’ve danced, the places we’ve visited”