A Camino through Judea Israel

Whenever I travel to new countries, and being a curious sod that I am, I try to learn as much of the country and culture as I can. And like the rest of us, what strikes me most are those parts which are either surprisingly different or unique to my own culture.  So please excuse my observations if they appear culturally disrespectful as assure you, it is merely an observation from a tourist who spent eight wonderful days in Israel.  

Israeli’s are kind but stern people.  Like all nationalities, they have their way of doing things, but this shouldn’t be confused as anti social or unkind. For all it’s issues, they are fiercely proud of their country and do welcome tourists.   Personally, I could relate.

Israel is expensive, more expensive than the US, Europe, and Australia. Cost of living is high.  This said, every retiree gets U$1,000 per month, which as long as they own a home, is workable.  Healthcare is universal and ranked amongst one of world best.  Affordable as accessible.

Jerusalem is a MUST see. The old city, behind its walls, predates Jesus by 3,000.   While there are many old cities, few have the same streets and dwellings as they’ve had 2,000 years back.   It’s richness in history and culture is second to none.  Of the four quarters, the Jewish and Armenian quarters were the prettiest.   The Muslim quarter appeared dirty, but after a few minutes one notices that this is part of its vibrancy.  The Christian quarter was the cheesiest, with merchants unwilling to leave you alone to walk the streets, and ironically where the money exchange shops were.  Money changer!

If asked what was my favourite, I truly could not answer as the aesthetic diversity within such a small country is mind numbing.   So will try to surmise my take always for each part I visited with one/two words, keeping in mind it comes from a visitors perspective:
Jerusalem - Historic and alive;
Golan Heights - Inspiring hikes;
Tzfat - Spiritual energy (Kabbalah);
Haifa - Pristine coast; and,
Tel Aviv - Cosmopolitan

For me, albeit from my own biased likes, my two “favourites” were hike ending at natural 100 foot waterfalls in the Golan Heights, and swimming at Caesaria Beach overlooking Roman ruins ON THE beach.  

The “danger” which Israel is portrayed as, I never felt nor observed. I went to the both the Syrian AND Lebanese border (which boasts some of the most stunning and beautiful parts of the country), and not once felt like I was in danger.  This is not to say there aren’t issues or acts of senseless violence.  (As a side note, I had no desire to go to Gaza, which apparently is poverty stricken).  Just that if you listen to the news channels, you’ll miss out on seeing what I consider to be one of the most beautiful countries I’ve ever visited.  

Gun laws appear liberal, as the open carry amongst civilians is quite visible.  But, the gun laws are quite rightly more stringent than might appear.  Firstly, one must be trained and registered to own that specific weapon, unless you served on military. Background checks are very strict.  Each bullet is accounted for, and if the gun is eventually fired, each bullet discharged must be accounted for.   Typically fired only at gun ranges.

Turn off the TV and consider visiting Israel.  I thank my lucky stars that I was able to, and hope to come back again.  Not visiting, if you’ll excuse the pun, would be a “sin”.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Due North

A Renaissance Man Named Coco

“The songs we’ve danced, the places we’ve visited”