Namaste: I bow to the divine in you.




Back in 2015 I attended a Tibetan Arts Fair, of all places, in Bondi Beach.  While I had read and heard of Tibetan culture, this was my first face-to-face experience with it.  Saw the monks spend days on sand art, and attended a few presentations on Tibetan Bhuddhism.  I was drawn in by their presentations on purpose and fate (a question facing humanity since the birth of cognitive thought).  During question time, something instinctively within me raised my hand.  Out of nowhere, let alone unplanned, I asked the monk, “Is it possible to find one’s purpose while immersed in self doubt and and disbelief?” 

Here I am four years later in Kathmandu, Nepal, about to embark tomorrow morning on a 12-day pilgrimage across the Tibetan Himalayas on a 500cc Royal Enfield; which is to motorcycles is what a VW bug is to cars (indestructible, and easy to fix).  This 12-day journey of self discovery has me travelling not only towards Lhasa (Tibet’s capital), but riding into more remote parts of this hermit kingdom.  Truly a road less travelled.  With the exception of Lhasa, will camp out in rural hostels; where the idea of a “bathroom” is a hole in the ground, and where a “shower” is wet hand towel with scented oils.  

This marks my second pilgrimage in two years; first was my 800 km Camino de Santiago.  And while one could understandably assume that I am seeking some sort of religious meaning, it would be wrong. My own interpretation of the bible is that of an acronym; Beginners Instructions Before Leaving Earth.   Continuing from this search for purpose is my equally reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead, of “Bardo Thodol” (as it is known in Tibet).  Far from being macabre, this text is intended to guide one through the experiences that the consciousness has after death, or the interval between death and rebirth.  Those who follow Jung, or even Timothy Leary, may have already heard of this; let alone from the lyrics in“Tomorrow Never Knows” by the Beatles.  

Whatever my ultimate purpose, it is mine to undertake.  And with your permission, will share along this blogger for those who are interested.  This said, however, am still not sure how much of my journey I’ll be able to share live given the remoteness of my location.  At worst, will write more upon my return to Sydney later this month.  In the meantime, thank you for your continued support and good wishes.  Promise to keep it epic.  

As for the aforementioned question to the Tibetan monk at Bondi, surprisingly he didn’t mention the number 42.  Instead he said that our purpose is continuous; one extending well beyond our lifetime.  Just as we been taught by our ancestors what we call “instincts”, our path to learn has no ending.  I like that, a finish line which doesn’t exist.  Nameste; I bow to the divine within you.





Comments

  1. Fantastic! I hope you have a terrific and safe journey Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go RP! Can’t wait to follow this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!! I hope you enjoy every moment. And I know you will because you know how to squeeze out every drop of an adventure and fully experience it. Can’t wait to read more as you go along! I love you immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, do you know the story of the top picture of the monk giving the finger? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travel well my friend. I so want to do this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thrilled for you. While I've never journeyed to Tibet, Nepal and the mountains have long activated a sirens cry. There is a reason that mountains and water call us. Look forward to hearing about your adventure. Namaste my sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is simply incredible. Enjoy the ride!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Due North

A Renaissance Man Named Coco

“The songs we’ve danced, the places we’ve visited”