Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit

What we believe of ourselves, and what we actually do, can often be two different outcomes.  I mean, we all like to think that under extreme pressure, we will still front up and fight head on.  But it isn’t until we ourselves are faced with this that we can truly say if indeed we have that underlying brave spirit which we aspire to have.  

Well, for my sister in law, such a test hasn’t come just once, but three times!  You see, my sister in law was diagnosed with breast cancer over ten years ago, fought it, and won.  Sadly, however, the cancer hasn’t come back just once, but two more times!  Guess they’re right that we’re all tested three times; as my sister in law has been.  Each time, she endured long painful chemo sessions, now immunotherapy.  While I would like to think I possessed her courage and heart, have to sincerely admit that I cannot say if I really do.  Instead, what I can say is if I am ever tested, she will be my role model.  She will be my inspiration.  She will be the fire in my belly.  My admiration and love for my brother’s wife, Paloma, broke all boundaries.  

Having said this, I equally have to express my admiration for my brother, Jorge.  He and I are closest in age, so we shared many things over my life time.  He was the one who while as a rebellious youth back in the early ‘70s, decided to sneak out of my maternal grandmother’s house in Lima past the military imposed curfew to see what a Peruvian riot was all about.  I guess having seen some anti Vietnam protests in the US, he never really was part of one.  But here was his chance to see one head on, never mind it was against my father’s strict instructions to stay home.  And while he saw the soldiers and water cannons from afar, he didn’t see the soldier behind him who manhandled and thrown in the military truck.  We didn’t know where he was for a few days, and were it not for a kind hearted military nurse (who broke orders/rules by discretely calling my parents), not sure if we would have ever known.  He was placed in a tiny cell overcrowded by multiples, and all at just 13 years of age.  Took my parents a few weeks to get him out, so can only imagine the fear he must have felt as a political prisoner at just 13 years of age.

Regardless, I preface this only to flag how my brother was already tested, and had stood firm and strong; even though he was still a boy.  But pushing forward a few decades, here again he too is being tested as the husband of such a courageous wife, and father to two wonderful young adults.  He is truly a pilar, working from home so he can be with his wife to help her as and when she needs it, let alone help run the household.  A truly united union, one which was tested more than I care to imagine.

My sister in law Paloma, and my brother Jorge, are my heroes.

Thanks to Paloma’s close group of friends, my brother was able to break away for a quick two day trip.  For some time now, he and I have been speaking about hiring two Harley Davidson’s to ride across the US on Route 66.  And each time we prepared to, life got in the way and we had to postpone.  So while not as long as our earlier plans, I still was SO very happy when my brother found a way to make part of this dream come true.  We rode on a two day trip from Miami to Key West Florida, the southern most point of continental US.  But to add to this moment, was even more overjoyed when I heard how two of my cousins would be joining us, along with a partner.  In short, five of us rode on four Harley’s down Route 1, spanning from Key Largo through to Key West.  The weather was perfect, sun shinning, and cool breeze.  


Two brothers; united by birth, but together by admiration and respect.  My wonderful brother Jorge.






Comments

  1. Something about the name Paloma. It seems to be given to those with great spirits, meant to inspire, but who let is not forget that they are courageous beyond measure, despite the beautiful meaning behind their names. And you know my fondness for my Paloma. God bless you Paloma, and your incredible brother. What a wonderful trip! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rob and Susan, for your very kind words. Paloma is indeed a great spirit.

      Delete
  2. You have a gift Rob, you are able to write and express with such a deep emotion that I can feel your heartbeat. Paloma and Jorge are teaching all of us about loyalty, faith, and hope as they walk the unknown and difficult journey. I love you and you are all in my prayers��Thank for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Due North

A Renaissance Man Named Coco

“The songs we’ve danced, the places we’ve visited”